Wednesday, July 15, 2009

It's my life.

Word on the street is that I now have thousands of adoring fans who want to know what I have been up to the past few days. Well buckle up. Here we go.

July 7 - Intern Day on the Hill

I joined the other interns for a trip into DC. We posted up in the Rayburn House Office building where we met with some individuals who have been involved in all levels of the public policy process. I learned several lessons that I think will serve me well during my career. After a brief trip to the Supreme Court building, we met with Congressman Frank Wolf (the district in Virginia where our offices are). Overall, it was a great experience and a great chance to sneak a peak into what it means to be involved in the political process.


July 10 - Lunch with Chuck Colson

One of the highlights of every summer for interns here at PF is the chance to sit down for a lunch with Chuck Colson. Well, for me it was pretty much a day spent with the man who inspired me to come for this job.

My day started like this: I walked in the door to have the receptionist tell me that if I hurried I could ride the elevator with "him" aka Mr. Colson. Trying to play it cool, I moseyed on over to the elevator where sure enough I ran into the Founder. I was so nervous to be trapped in the elevator with him. He was kind and gracious to talk to me early in the morning. I was still awkward. I was so glad I decided to forgo Casual Fridays in favor of a suit and tie.

At lunch time, we made our way over to the Guesthouse for lunch. On the way downstairs, the Founder rode the elevator with the interns. We had a nice simple chat. Started off slow. It was good.

At lunch, he talked to us about his passion for Christian worldview and spoke about the need for our generation to embrace objective truth. Personally, I found it challenging that this man could so seamlessly move from regular conversation to a deeply philosophical debate without batting an eye. It was evident to all that we were in the presence of a true intellectual. When we were done, I had the chance to ask a question about the role of Christians in politics. It was a great chance to hear his input and a very thoughtful answer.

After lunch, we made our way back to the office where he had invited us to sit in on a session in which he was taping for a documentary. On the way, I cracked a joke about having to swipe a badge to enter the building and how he shouldn't have to. He laughed. Maybe he is going to start liking me.... Watching him tape the session was a remarkable opportunitiy. He answered questions with tactical precision and a clear feel for what made remarkable soundbytes. In short, he was a professional. But, when it was over, he was glad to talk to us and autograph a copy of his book... "Caleb," he wrote, "Defend the faith."

Watching this lion of the Christian faith write this in a book he gave to me made me wonder at what point in my future will I look back on that moment for encouragement and inspiration. (For those of you working on the Screenplay for a movie about my life, HINT!)


July 11 - Centurions Weekend

We had the opportunity to once again spend some time with the Founder in a session that he taught about Christian worldview. We were sitting in on a session with individuals who have dedicated a year of their life for equipping in ministry. It was a great opportunity.

After a long lunch, we sat in on a session about Christian Community Development. I was a tremendous fan of this way of changing a community. I think that it is not as popular as the government-run version because of the tremendous cost in terms of personal investment.

July 15 - Intern Devotions

Every summer, there is a day in which the Interns coordinate and lead in the weekly devotions at PF. It was a great opportunity to take a leadership role and share a bit of our perspective of PF and of what God has done in our lives. Our theme as that of unity. We felt it was a logical choice for a group such as ours that comes from across the country and from a wide range of fields.

My favorite part was that I was able to bring the message. I loved talking in front of a large group of people - as I always do. It was pretty intimidating to be sharing from Scripture in front of a group of people who have not only been Christians for years but have been surrounded by the preeminent teachers in the nation. I did my best. I trusted God to take care of me. I think it worked out. I had alot of nice comments from folks. I have the recording but am not sure how to post it.



I know that was a whirlwind but that is what I have been up to for the last week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment