Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cubs win! Cubs win!

One thing that I do miss about living in the DFW Metroplex is having a MLB team just minutes away. That has sort of been remedied this summer as I live in the vicinity of DC, but honestly, the jury is still out as to whether or not we can call the last place Nationals a MLB team... I kid! I kid.

Anyway, following the All Star break and the Midsummer classic in St. Louis, the Cubs came to the District for four games against our beloved yet beleaguered Nationals. Because the 7 pm start was a little early for me considering I worked Thursday and Friday, I decided to head down for the Saturday evening affair.

Earlier in the week, I threw out the possibility of a game to my fellow interns who well, how do I say this, lack my consuming passion for baseball. So, I decided to make a few phone calls.

Thursday night I was a little frustrated at the lack of response - who wouldn't want to hang out with me? - and becoming worried that I wouldn't be able to get into the game which was nearly sold out. Laying in bed, I threw a hail mary. Well, sort of. I told God that I really wanted to see my beloved Cubbies play and that I needed someone to agree to go with me because that is awkward going to a baseball game by yourself.

Friday morning about 8:30 am (I was up. True story), my friend Jon sent me a text asking if I wanted to go to the game Saturday night that he had tickets from his work. Not a huge baseball enthusiast, I had talked to him about going on Thursday, but he wasn't sure. Anyway, he showed up to work that morning to get an unsolicited email asking him if he wanted the tickets - no one else did....

I was pumped. Answered prayer, Check. It was virtually a lock that the Cubs would win.

So, after watching Tom Watson's magical Saturday, I made my way down to DC for the Cubs game.

Now, I have been a big fan since I was probably 5. I don't watch them as much as I used to, but I try. I felt like a little kid when I got to my awesome seat just in time to watch my Cubbies finish batting practice. It was so amazing to see Soriano, Lee, Fukudome, Theriot, Fontenot, Ramirez, and most of all - Lou Pinella and his awesome manager's gut.

Because God had answered one prayer already, I kind of figured this one was in the bag and sure enough, and thanks to the help of a three-run homerun by Alfonso Soriano, the Cubs pulled it out.

It was a perfect night for baseball in a nice new stadium. We had great seats and a great view. Derrek Lee hit a ground rule double - the coolest thing short of being a homer. Soriano hit one out. I was within 20 feet of a foul ball - never have caught one but it was a sign they are getting closer.

One of my favorite moments was during the 7th innning stretch when we sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame - some of the many Cub fans in attendance root root rooted for the "Cubbies." I laughed and mouthed the words. It is what Harry Caray would have wanted.

All in all it was a great night. I am thankful for the seats but more importantly excited that I saw my Chicago Cubs play ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment