Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reflections on D-Day

One of my favorite memories will always be having been at the World War II Memorial on the 65th anniversary of D-Day.

As the huge crowds made their way across the National Mall, I loved to stop and watch them pause and take in the beauty of the newest memorial.

As I watched, they began to emerge. It was kind of hard to see at first, but they were there.

Hunched and aged, some with walkers, canes or wheelchairs, it was easier to see the veterans.

One man that stuck out to me was an elderly gentleman sitting by himself on a park bench staring at the memorial. I couldn't help but imagine what he had seen and what he saw.

I was touched by their resolve to make sure they came out to honor the memory of those who served them.

More than that, I couldn't help but notice the miracle I was witnessing. These men who as boys left for war grew up to be old men. They saved a continent and came home to make a nation strong.

I hope that they felt a modicum of the thanks they deserved.

Read more of my thoughts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment