Sunday, June 7, 2009

DC Weekend Pt. 2

This weekend, Neil and I gathered a few friends to join us for our weekend adventure. We saddled up with fellow interns Brad, Amanda and Katie for a beginners tour of Washington D.C.

Our first stop was the Holocaust Museum where we got tickets for a tour before heading out to the National Mall. We ended up making it to the museum and taking the tour. It was a moving experience for everyone.

Then, we headed out to the Mall again to check out the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, and what I think was the John Paul Jones Memorial. We also had some spectacular views of the White House, the Capitol and the Jefferson Memorial.

Despite some early cloud cover, it turned out to be one of the most beautiful days in a week or so. The sun came out which was really a treat!

We then made our way to the Smithsonian's American History Museum where I got to see the Star Spangled Banner - the original from Ft. McHenry. It was really remarkable. So amazing to see such a treasure.

We then made our way to the military history museum. They had George Washington's sword, a piece of the battleship Maine, Sam Houston's rifle, and much much more. I was doing good until I saw William Tecumseh Sherman's hat and other pieces of his uniform. I am not a fan... We then went to the Presidency gallery before heading to the Air & Space Museum.

After realizing that we were about to die from all the walking, we took off for the Washington National's game. We got there early where I had a huge Philly cheese steak. Then, we enjoyed a great ball game in a really nice modern stadium. From our perch, we had a great view of downtown DC and the navy yard.

The best part is that I was the lucky charm for them - the Nats finally won a game!

We finally made it home, and I went to bed for a well deserved rest.

This morning, I went to a Methodist church for the first time. I went along with my host family. It was interesting to be in another denomination. I ended up knowing most of the songs as they were popular praise songs. I was a little stumped when it came to communion but moved to the back of the line so I could watch.

Then tonight, I went to the little league game of my little brother for the summer. It has been a long time since I went to a little league game. Funny how none of that has changed. HA

now, it's bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment